As mentioned in my post last week, I am writing about the details of my summer garden for the year. Last year’s garden did terrible regarding output. I added a few things to the soil for this year’s garden in hopes of it helping, and I believe it has made a huge difference! The picture above was taken last Friday (Jun 26th), 7 weeks after everything had been planted (in the right garden bed). My green bean plants didn’t get this big last year during the whole growing season.
I planted the garden a lot sooner than I did last year. Of course, it’s nice that I didn’t have to put weeks of labor into building the beds and moving dirt into them. So this year’s garden (right bed) was planted May 6th, compared to last year’s date of May 30th.
I planted 3 green pepper plants, 1 red bell pepper, 1 banana pepper, 1 jalapeno pepper, 5 zucchini plants (from seeds), 3 cucumber plants, 2 Early Girl tomato plants, and bush Italian green beans (empty space at end, seeds).
I love using these early bush Italian green beans (from Burpee)! They are so quick to sprout and grow and put off green beans!
I had to thin out the green beans because I just threw a bunch of seeds into the area for them to grow (big mistake). Since last year’s didn’t get that bushy, I thought I’d put more into the mix. This is after thinning them out a LOT on May 24th.
And I was so sad to have to throw away all the ones I picked out, but I really had nowhere to put them. 🙁
And even after thinning them out, they are still a little overcrowded in this picture taken on June 15th.
I planted all 5 of the zucchini plants that came up from seeds I started in containers since I lost both zucchini plants last year. I was planning on losing 2-3 this year, so at least I’d have enough to hopefully get some zucchini.
And of course, all 5 of them grew to be huge in the small area in which I’d planned for just two plants.
Since I’d harvested all the broccoli by this time, I decided to move 2 of the zucchini plants (even though they were already flowering) to the other garden bed. Even if I lost those 2, I’d still have 3 in their original spots. The 2 transplanted zucchinis protested for a while.
But they bounced back after a few days.
Cucumbers crawling on the arch trellis I made with chicken wire and PVC pipe that I spray painted:
And the herb garden as of June 26th. I think the dill is on its way out, and the blue thing is to control ants. I am having a terrible time with ants in the garden. Every time I touch/move a dill plant, ants appear. So it seems they’ve made an ant bed in my herb garden. 🙁 I just hope it doesn’t kill the plants.